Saturday, February 4, 2012

World Politics Nerd-Focused Day

Right now, I'm sitting in a cafe eating an Indian version of pasta. It's so strange, very spicy. I just got done having coffee with this really great woman that I met on the metro from Canada, who agreed that having a car just for women was probably the greatest invention ever.

Anyways, today was much more successful than yesterday. I actually slept through the night after going out with a great British couple for drinks. The beer definitely helped the jetlag. And then I went into a tourist office to arrange a trip with Kels from Agra to Jaipur and also to see tigers!! Oh my goodness. It's going to be amazing. We're going to have a private driver, and he will arrange all of the hotels for us. We'll go elephant riding and on a tiger safari!! I like can't even express how excited I am. I was at first a bit skeptical, because I thought it might be a scam. But I talked with a French man who highly recommended it, and it seems like a hotspot for white travelers. There were tons there. The guy is also government-approved/sanctioned. He has all of the proper documentation, and he's honestly just incredibly helpful. He showed me where the metro was, told me where to go, and helped me find an atm. So yeah, it's like 350 for a week of activities, transport, and hotels!!

After getting that sorted out, I went to the government area of Delhi, saw the India Gate and parliament, and went to the National Museum.  It was just so cool. I don't know. I was walking around listening to some great tunes and just really enjoying the city. I ended up sitting for a long time on the grass watching the sun set over Parliament.




It's quite funny, but many young men act as though they have NEVER seen a white person before. They just shamelessly take pictures of you. Like don't even ask if it's ok, and they don't even try and hide it. They also stare without shame. I mean I understand that I'm incredibly pale and I look different, but still. It wasn't this bad in Uganda or Rwanda. People would touch your hair and skin and stare, but it was always in a very innocent way, like they were honestly interested. And women and children more so than men stared at me. I don't know. Maybe my perspective has been a bit altered since the events of yesterday, but it does seem different.

Tomorrow, I think I'm going to go to the wealthy part of town to see a bollywood movie just because I think it would interesting to see just how big the gap in wealth is and obviously seeing a bollywood movie in India would be just a hilarious experience. And then I leave to Varanasi the next day, which I can't even talk about how excited I am about that!! That hotel has a 100% for cleanliness!!!!!!!!!!! Really, that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment